Neuberger Berman [see profile]
and Vanguard [see profile]
have the most popular small-cap funds in 401(k)s. Today San Diego-based BrightScope
released its list of the top 12 small-cap U.S. equity mutual funds by assets inside of 401(k) plans.
"Small-cap is an asset class with a lot of opportunity," BrightScope CEO Mike Alfred
told The 401kWire
, noting that more than 16 percent of the 50,000-plus 401(k) plans BrightScope tracks don't even have a single small-cap fund in their lineups.
The top 12 list (see below) notably doesn't include a single fund from bundled 401(k) titan Fidelity [see profile]
. Alfred said that Fidelity's offerings -- such as the four-star, $34.8-billion Fidelity Low-Priced Stock Fund
and the three-star, $3.8-billion Fidelity Small-Cap Stock Fund
-- are not considered small-cap funds by Morningstar, hence they were excluded from this list.
"Neuberger Berman is dominant. Their Genesis Fund
is the 800-pound gorilla in small-cap," Alfred said, noting that the fund boasts almost $6 billion from 1,455 401(k) plans in BrightScope's database.
The top 12 small-cap funds are:
1) the four-star, $11.7-billion Neuberger Berman Genesis Fund
2) the four-star, $10.5-billion Vanguard Explorer Fund
3) the three-star, $26.1-billion Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund
4) the four-star, $7.6-billion T. Rowe Price Small-Cap Stock Fund
5) the five-star, $7.6-billion Allianz NFJ Small Cap Value Fund
6) the four-star, $4.1-billion Wells Fargo Advantage Small Cap Value Fund
7) the four-star, $4.1-billion Lord Abbett Small-Cap Value Fund
8) the four-star, $8.7-billion T. Rowe Price New Horizons Fund
9) the four-star, $7.5-billion T. Rowe Price Small-Cap Value Fund
10) the four-star, $3.2-billion American Beacon Small Cap Value Fund
11) the four-star, $9.2-billion Vanguard Small Cap Growth Index Fund
12) and the four-star, $4.8-billion Royce Low Priced Stock Fund
Stay ahead of the news ... Sign up for our email alerts now